01 November 2011

Rethinking your routine to improve your mood and meet new peeps.

Last week I finished reading this book by John Gray, Ph.D., entitled Mars and Venus on a Date, which is simply an amazing, amazing book; yes I did use the word amazing twice in a vain attempt to convey my enthusiasm for this little gem of a book. It's one of those rare finds, I must admit. Seriously, it's a must read for singles everywhere, and even couples who are looking to heighten their awareness of the differences between genders and searching for ways to strengthen their bond. No, I was not paid to endorse this book, and just so happened to have been fortuitously gifted the book by a friend.

The reason I mention the book is because it has made me rethink my daily routine. The author recommends changing up your routine as a way to meet new and different people. For instance, he suggests going out to a fast food restaurant if you typically don't eat fast food and prefer perusing the health food aisle. Another example would be to go to a crowded place if you prefer quiet atmospheres. By putting yourself in such situations, your potential of meeting someone new and different increases. Today, I took his advice and rather than eating my packed lunch at work, I ran out to purchase food, on a whim. It felt rather refreshing to get out and drive around during my lunch hour, and opposed to repeating my usual rote pattern of eating in my car.

Also, the author encourages singles to get out, particularly when the mood does not strike, which is what I did tonight.  I felt motivated to go to the gym earlier this morning, but as the day wore on, exhaustion from the daily grind set in and as soon as I arrived home from work, I ate dinner and plopped down on the couch and began perusing the internet, and as time passed, my motivated waned and I almost stayed put. However, my thoughts then traveled back to the author's advice and I decided, 'why not?' and off I went. It's not as though I met some fascinating mystery man or anything while I was at the gym, but I must say that I feel more energized than had I stayed home. I even talked to a few people; briefly, but it made me feel good, nonetheless. As the author points out, by doing something you do not necessarily feel like doing, you will not necessarily feel worse. You may feel better. Therefore, if you don't feel like doing something, maybe you should actually be doing that very thing you're dreading. You might be surprised at how you feel afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment